Thursday 3 September 2015

A LETTER TO MY LATE SISTER MPULE LYDIA PHALA

It feels like it was just yesterday when you woke me up, decorated my face with every little utensil that was in your make-up kit. It was my first day of school! To this day i am not sure i know why you decided to dress me in that tradition dress mom made me when every other kid wore their uniform. Mom and Dad will openly agree to this, you brought me up and i am not in any way directing resent towards them(just stating facts) you where there throughout my teenage tantrums, u were the first to notice i had my first period (and mom only found out a year later) and you are the only elder at home who has really spanked me (and i fought back).

2007 came rather premature and it feels like i hadn't known you very well. I was sent to boarding school in your absence and i had to cut my very long hair because i had no one to maintain its neatness and growth. life in boarding school was both sour and sweet i made friends and enemies and i had my first kiss (in a school cupboard). Among a lot of things i cannot do to this days is cook pap or anything for that matter not even oatmeal and i know had you been here i would be a master chef like sesi Maureen turned out, i have however learned to do my laundry and iron it and i still cannot maintain my hair (because you left too soon i hadn't mastered the art). 

Im writing this letter on a windy Thursday 2nd September in my dark dorm room at Turf campus. I know it is only 4days before your birthday and you would be turning 31 (you always reminded me you were 10years older).That lawyer you always thought id make is still prevalent in me, i am still rebellious,feisty,loud,dark(and ugly) and i am still the brat. For my  21st birthday i decided i will come to the cemetery and celebrate it with you (because lets face it had it not been of your guidance i wouldn't have made it to University having grown in our hood). In each dream i have of u, u remain cheeky and loving i hope in our next meeting you wouldn't have grown grey hair yet . Happy birthday in advance sesi Mpule. Love Lizelle ps i cry eachtime i think of you...xoxo becca

No comments:

Post a Comment